Settlement/Calculation system of saving mythologizing in applied art products
As is clear from my previous articles, in the modern world pragmatic aspects obtain particular importance, also in relation to the national culture.
We offer our mathematical methods of semiotic product analysis, which aims to identify some aspects of the popularity of traditional national products: color, material, composition (compound ornamental blocks, directly the form of product itself)
P = (IР+OР) / PR
P-product (utility, ritual), IT-tradition (products for use within the group - utility), OT-innovation paces (number of products for use outside the group – for sale, gifts, etc) , PR-the number of the population under consideration within the surveyed region.
In this case, the calculations are arranged according to the following specification: if the product is used within the group, it retains certain sacral features in addition to utilitarian meaning, and therefore the product is itself ritualized, according to its location in space. Consequently, the summand - IT is the percentage ratio of the tradition and other far more modern household items (when applied to Kyrgyzs hundred-per-cent ratio is the traditional decoration of nomadic yurt). The summand - OT shows the percentage of development of communications in applied art outside of the group (appropriate to industrial stamp copying of certain kind of products can be regarded as a hundred-per-cent ratio).
Internal ratio of these two summands indicates that if IT dominates over the OT summand then the surveyed region is traditional, if opposite, then it is ready to change, but in any case, the quantitative change will be indicative of the total traditionality of the group, that’s why we bracket it in order to actualize this action. Further action – dividing the sum into the quantitative composition of members of mono-ethnic population shows the ratio of internal popularity of traditional material culture.
One should note a few basic things to consider during conducting research:
1) The research cannot be applied to individual products, the logic is simple, traditional products block is traditionally ethnic groups. Singularity may be applicable to the exclusivity, and this contradicts the study of traditional succession.
2) In our opinion the study is not recommended to utilize for examining the use of applied art products during ritual acts – weddings, funerals, the initiation rituals. In other words, traditionality is studied within the scope of everyday life culture.
3) In theory, the results of the study can range from 0 to 1, but this is impossible in practice because the result of 1 or more means a fully closed ethnic group, and there are no such societies in the present conditions, and a 0 result would have meant that there is no identity, i.e. the absence of the ethnic group itself.
The practical significance of this study can be estimated by theoretical conclusions applicable to practical guidelines. For example:
Lack of traditional natural materials for production of ОТ → more investment to secure raw materials.
- In any case, it will lead to an increase of the level of material wealth, but in turn will result in a decrease in traditionality of composition of applied art products.
- traditionality pace will be reduced by half on average, even if welfare increases.
- growth of the gross amount of traditional products will result in increase of their amount per capita.
- high level of traditionality of the space (original forms of life, household) → ritualism pace (of traditional generation) → psychological pressure on society → social conflicts with the environment.
Consequently, the amount of traditional products per capita depends on the number of factors the main of which is the factor of group’s isolation from the outer space. In contrast communication interest increases the commercial value of the product at the same time reducing its ritualistic traditional component (commercial interest fund → investments).
Fund – resources, turnover, communication.
Let’s model a virtual situation as an example: the population of the surveyed area is 11,283 people, the analyzed product is Shyrdak. IT ratio is (12,658, the number of “domestic” products / 11283, population) 1.12 points, an ОТ ratio (3,876 “gift” products / 11 283, population) is 0.34 points. Thus, the region’s traditionalism makes up 1.36 (1.12 +0.34). Conclusion: the use of tradition in the region conventionally reflects the general situation of perception of values - at the level of material culture.
In conclusion I would like to note that this system is not axiomatic and by far is inviting to the dispute.
In the next paper we will try to show some aspects of the perception of ethnic values through the combination of the results of the spiritual and material culture.